Welcome to the 1 Choice
Yahoo! Store Blog.
If you're new here, you may
want to subscribe to our
like RSS? That's Ok! Subscribe to our Blog
and get email updates. You
can also sign up for our monthly
Thanks for coming by and
please come back again soon!!
Sunday, December 28, 2008
Last night I watched my first Pay Per View Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) event. UFC fighters use a mix of martial arts to fight each other and let me tell you... it is fascinating to watch!
As I watched the fight last night, I was probably the only person in the world thinking...
"WOW There is a lot that business owners can learn from watching this!"
I know. I am weird. I even consider myself to be quite a nerd as well!
I look at everything in life and try to learn something from it. If I can learn how to improve my business from the experience, even better!
So here it is, the Top 10 Business Lessons Learned from UFC
- Know Your Competition - These fighters knew whom they were facing, what their strengths were, and what their weaknesses were as well. In business, you have to know your competition as well. Learn all that you can about them, as well as from them.
- Never Give Up - When these fighters gave up, they were taken out of the fight. If you give up in business, you are taken out as well. You will lose your business. Yes, you will have setbacks. In fact, you may get knocked to the ground. As long as you keep trying, as long as you keep fighting, your business will continue to fight as well.
- You May Be Down, But You Are Not Out - Pictured below is Frank Mir fighting Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Mir was in a horrible motorcycle accident in 2004 and doctors thought he might not fight again. Last night as he made his victory speech, he admitted that he never thought he would win the fight.
"To come back and fight the best heavyweight to ever fight in the UFC and get a win over him after what I've gone through, it just shows … I'm proof you can do things."
Don't give up on yourself or your business just because you don't think you will win or make the most money, especially in this economy.
- Study From The Masters - These fighters study with Masters of their craft. Do you know why they are masters? Because they have done it for a long time and they know what they are doing. It does not matter what type of business you own, there is a master that you can learn from.
- Learn Constantly - Always be learning and keep your eyes and ears open to learning new things every minute of the day. In order for these fighters to win, they have to continue learning new things every day. Tomorrow a new fighter will come out who knows how to do things never heard of before. In business, you need to learn so that you can be ready for tomorrow. Technology changes hourly... stay on top of it!
- Work Daily On Your Craft (Business) - These fighters have to be in top shape in order to fight. After the main event, they showed a fight from the beginning of the evening. One of the fighters could have won, except he became tired and seemed like he could not fight anymore. Well with your online business, you need to work on your site daily. If you do not, Google will assume that you have become tired and will not crawl your site anymore. Remember, Google wants fresh UNIQUE content!
- Build Your Brand - This lesson came from the advertisers. As you can see in the image below, placement of your brand is crucial for the best results. Spectators are focusing on two main areas on the fighter. When you look at those areas, you see the Full Tilt advertising. Now why would Full Tilt want to advertise on a fighter? Full Tilt is a poker site, the fight was in Vegas where people love to bet, and bets are typically placed on fights. So where does your brand need to be in order for your customers to see it?
- Be Passionate - These fighters love what they are doing. You can tell by the way they talk, walk, move, and fight. You have to be passionate about your business as well. If you are going to spend hours upon hours working on something... it makes it that much easier when you are in love with what you are doing. I absolutely LOVE what I do. Perhaps that is why I am here writing on a Sunday. I am passionate about helping people and if I can help one person succeed by using fighting as an example, then this post is worth the time!!
- Keep Your Guard Up - When the fighter let their guard down, the other fighter went in for the kill. I let my guard down in business and well...another company went for the kill. I had an order to fulfill ($10,000 in software) and I tried to find another supplier for the product, one that would give me better pricing. I found one. I was going to make a nice profit....$5,000! I sent them a cashier's check and never heard from them again. I let my guard down and that business went in for the kill, protect yourself and your business.
- Always Wear Your Cup - No explanation necessary
by: Shawna Seigel
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
| Subscribe to our Blog
| Subscribe To Our Radio Show